MAKING A DECISION
At some time in their lives, some women are faced with making a decision that they had never expected to make. This choice may be straight forward
for some, for others the decision can be quite difficult, perhaps the most difficult they will ever make in their lives.
Once you make made that decision, we make it easy, but contact us immediately because every day makes a difference.
If you find the decision difficult, consider a stepwise approach. Many wise people have said it takes a village to raise a child, which simply
means you may be confronted with the need to rely on others’ support or assistance to parent any child successfully.
There are many factors you could consider, here are a few:
- How do I feel about this pregnancy?
- Was it planned?
- How do I feel about continuing it?
- What are the pros & cons of continuing?
- How will I feel six months from now if I continue?
- How will I feel in two years?
- What do I want my life to be like in one year?…five years?…ten years?
- How will my decision about this pregnancy affect what I want for myself in future?
- If I had a choice, when and under what circumstances would I want to be or get pregnant?
Need for Support:
- If I continue, what will change in my life? (Consider finances, career, education, housing, emotional state, relationship with partner, relationship
with family, relationships with friends etc.)
- Am I in a position to support myself and a child?
- Who can support me if I can’t – is my partner suitable and/or willing?
- How do I feel about adoption?
- What are the pros and cons of adoption?
- How do I feel about putting a child up for adoption?
- How will I feel six months from now as I consider giving my baby up for adoption?
- How will I feel a year after the adoption is completed?
- Do I know anyone who has put a child up for adoption?
- How do I feel about putting children up for adoption?
- How do I feel about abortion?
- How do I feel about having an abortion?
- What are the pros and cons of abortion?
- How will I feel six months from now if I have an abortion?
- How will I feel in two years?
- What are my ethical and religious beliefs about abortion?
- Do I understand why women have abortions?
- How do I feel about others who have had an abortion?
- When do I believe the balance between my needs and the foetus’s needs changes?
- How do these beliefs affect this decision?
- Am I making this decision freely?
- Am I being pressured by others expectations?
- Who else’s feelings am I taking into account when I consider what to do?
- Am I putting their feelings or desires in front of my own?
- Do I know how my partner feels about this pregnancy…….is he supportive, indifferent, negative?
- Do I know how my partner feels about the possibility of continuing the pregnancy?
- Do I know how my partner feels about the possibility of adoption?
- Do I know how my partner feels about the possibility of abortion?
- What will my relationship with my partner be like if I continue?….if I put up for adoption?…..if I have an abortion?
- Does it matter to me what my family knows or believes about this pregnancy?
- Do I know how my family feels about the possibility of continuing the pregnancy?
- Do I know how my family feels about the possibility of abortion?
- What will be the impact on my family be if I continue?…..if I put up for adoption?….if I have an abortion?
Being a Parent:
- How do I feel about the prospect of becoming a parent….is it joyful?....terrifying?, or a mixture?
- Am I ready for breastfeeding, changing nappies, being inter-dependent?
- Am I ready for losing a good deal of sleep in the next year or more?